Monday 14 February 2011

Can Jews eat Guinea Pigs?

What started as a flippant enquiry directed at a Semitic-chum almost two years ago was again puzzling me today. I now have the answer. Are Guinea Pigs Kosher? Sometimes my own ignorance astounds me. This question reared its head after I was confronted with the quote “Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat” and it occurred to me that I didn't really know what it meant. So I looked it up: with regards to mammals, only things with parted (cloven) hooves AND animals which ruminate are Kosher. For the culturally enfeebled, the word “Kosher” describes the set of dietary rules outlining what's OK for Jews to eat. “Eat” means to consume nutrients.

Rumination is a biological process where food is partially digested in an animal's first stomach, then is essentially barfed back up into the mouth to be re-chewed. The stuff that goes back into the mouth is called “cud”. Who knew digestion was so fascinating?

Cloven hoofed animals include, cattle, sheep as well as pigs.
Ruminants include cattle, giraffes and llamas.
Pigs have cloven hooves, but do not ruminate and are therefore not kosher.
Guinea-pigs have neither cloven hooves nor do they ruminate – not kosher.

Yes.  This is what I actually spent my Valentine's day doing.  I hope you wankers are all having a super-fantastic day.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad we have finally covered this topic, 2 years after you brought it up!

    ReplyDelete